Thursday, July 10, 2014

Why the winter blues?



My mood always plummets in winter. The cold weather seeps through my skin into my bones. I never seem to be able to get warm or happy.

The sun doesn't like winter either. It is tucked up in bed by 5.30pm leaving us in early darkness. And hates to come out in the morning in the low, low temperatures.

When the alarm sounds I peer out of the doona and dread envelopes me. I pull the warm doona over my head and wish I could stay nestled in it's warm safety. Alas, that isn't to be.

The frost that sits on the car in the morning reminds me daily of my depressive, cold mood.

A few weeks ago I had a therapy session, we talked about this and that. She came to the conclusion that I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or commonly known as the winter blues.

According to my doctor, some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. I am one of them. It is depressing to hear that winter actually makes you more depressed. Arh, the vicious circle of it all.

During this session I was also to learn that there is a light at the end of the cold dark tunnel for SAD, including light therapy - which can literally mean getting outside in the middle of the day and soaking up the rays, sitting near the window when you work and turning on all the lights in your house. There is also a gadget you can wear like glasses that shines a light around your eyes, my doctor gave me this link, www.re-timer.com.

For now I will try getting out in the middle of the day and see if it helps my mood lift.

Do you suffer from the winter blues?
What do you recommend to help?



{image}



No comments:

Post a Comment